The church, which is dedicated to the Holy Trinity, was built in the 12th Century. It may originally have been a wooden structure as most churches were around that period.
The first rector was inducted in 1220 when the village was under the patronage of the Prior of Belvoir.
The west tower was built in the 14th century and has battlements. It originally had a short spire that was taken down in 1890 when it had become unsafe.
In the belfry the windows are all of single light and in a niche in the west wall of the tower is a carved figure sitting like a weary guardian.
In the tower are three bells the oldest being cast in 1640 and the other two in 1663. One bell, which is inscribed “Glory be to God on high”, was recast in 1849 by Taylors of Scarborough at a cost of £24.
The beautiful stained glass east window was made by Warrington in 1841.
Norton can claim to be one of the very few churches in the country to have two pulpits. The smaller one is two tiered and was originally used for reading the lessons whilst the preacher occupied the main pulpit. The lectern was given to the church in 1918 in memory of the Rev William Callahan who was rector of Norton in 1916-17.
The church is extremely fortunate to have a magnificent rare barrel organ in working order. It was painstakingly restored, by John Burns of Nuneaton, In 1980. It was built in London in 1819 by James Butler, an apprentice to the celebrated organ builder George England and installed in Norton in 1840. It was mainly due to the untiring efforts of three lady members of the church that the organ was restored to its former glory. It has three barrels each having 10 tunes including “O God our help in ages past”, One of the most famous families of clock makers in the country came from Barton in the Beans.
An employee of Samuel Deacon came to take the measurements for a turret clock to be installed in Norton church. It was made at Barton and installed in the church on 11th September 1840.
The clock had been almost trouble free for the past 150 years, the measurements have been retained and the cost was £80.
The vestry was built in 1850 at a cost of £100.
In the churchyard is a very unusual gravestone to the memory of John Worthington who died in 1705. The letters all run together with no space between them and many of the letters are back to front. Among the gravestones are two ancient recumbent effigies of a knight and his lady
See also <a href=”index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&item=27″ title=”Nichols History of Norton Church”>Nichols History of Norton Church</a></p>